We recently became involved in assisting in the pitiful plight of working donkeys in some townships in the North West Province.
Our township inspectors found:
-Harness sores from home-made and ill fitting harnessing.
-Severe worm infestation.
-Injuries from animals being attacked.
-Maiming of the donkeys caused by the traditional belief in cutting off the ear/s to prevent illness and to prove ownership.
The Outreach Team have been removing old, bad fitting harnessing and replacing it with more comfortable harnessing which will make the work more comfortable for the donkey. Education also plays an important role.
The Outreach team will on certain visits take with them a dentist to check the donkeys teeth and a vet to do gelding clinics. The clinics include removing incorrect bits and replacing them, helping the donkeys that have injuries. A very important part of our clinics is educating the owners to be able to care for their donkeys themselves.
PLEASE HELP US TO HELP THE DONKEYS:
They desperately need:
- Equine dewormer – broad spectrum
- Mange treatments suitable for equines
- Any old tack that we can use for harnessing
- Wound treatments – spray or ointment, with anti-bacterial properties
- Fly repellent
- Bags of feed
- Bales of fodder
- Surgical gloves
- Fly fringes
- A lockable trunk for medical supplies
- Equine dip
- 2 x 20 l drums – for water and dip
- Stockholm tar
- Equine tooth rasp
- Plastic pill containers to dispense wound treatment
- Antibiotics – long acting, injectable
- Anti-inflammatory sachets
- A4 paper for printing educational material
- Photocopying or printing of educational material
If you would like to donate to the Donkey Project online now, click here and ensure that you check the box marked “earmark for Donkey Project”.
UPDATE ON OUR DONKEY CLINICS – PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO READ!